A Step-By-Step Approach to Tailoring a Resume
- Use online resources to determine job requirements within the targeted industry: Search online job sites or online versions of newspapers for employment openings. Then match your skills/knowledge/abilities to their requirements.
- Prioritize data within the resume that meets the requirements stated within the job opening. Don’t hope that hiring managers will search for this data – they won’t.
- Determine what’s most important to the employer – educational background or professional experience – and list it in that order: The key is to place relevant information first.
- Pull out industry jargon (also known as keywords) from the job posting. Failure to provide keywords, especially when submitting to large corporations that use scanning software, will result in the resume being dismissed.
- Use the appropriate formatting and tone as it relates to the targeted job: A conservative approach would be employed at law and accounting firms. The entertainment field or high fashion world would warrant a more stylish/casual approach.
- Include ONLY what is relevant to the targeted position.